PNW Powered Parachute & Ultralight Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNW Powered Parachute & Ultralight Forum

A place for Powered Parachutes and Ultralights to share their passion with other like minded people.

Established May 12th, 2010

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Central Oregon mid summer fly-in

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ragwing Rider

Ragwing Rider

Central Oregon mid summer fly-in Empty
PostSubject: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyFri May 21, 2010 3:33 am

Central Oregon is putting together a mid Summer fly-in.

The dates are... Thursday 7/01 thru Monday 7/05 2010 or come & leave when you want!

The place will be Beasley Dry lake near Fort Rock, OR, approx. 66 miles south east of Bend. There are lots of geological features in that area IE: Fort Rock, Hole in the ground, crack in the ground, Lost forest, etc. So besides some great scenery from the air there are a lot of places to visit during the day.

GPS coordinates are 43.323862277501924 -121.01457595825195

This will be a dry camp area so come prepared for that.

"This will be a non-sanctioned & very informal event."

Because this is on a dry lake bed there is a chance that with our wet spring & the fact that from time to time cattle can mess up the surface, it might not be usable. So, several of our local pilots will be going down in a few weeks to check things out and I will send an update shortly after that with more details & directions.

I'm also suggesting there be a potluck dinner Friday evening.

All are welcome & there is plenty of room, so feel free to invite your flying friends!

Hope to see you there! And feel free to e-mail me at ragwing.rider@yahoo.com or call me on my cell # below.

Lonnie Ramey
541-325-1692
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyFri May 21, 2010 3:54 am

Sounds Great Central Oregon mid summer fly-in 727346

I'm planning on attending this event Central Oregon mid summer fly-in 511576

Welcome to the forum!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
PPC_Mike
Admin
PPC_Mike

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyFri May 21, 2010 4:14 am

Ragwing Rider wrote:

The dates are... Thursday 7/01 thru Monday 7/05 2010 or come & leave when you want!

The place will be Beasley Dry lake near Fort Rock, OR, approx. 66 miles south east of Bend. There are lots of geological features in that area IE: Fort Rock, Hole in the ground, crack in the ground, Lost forest, etc. So besides some great scenery from the air there are a lot of places to visit during the day.

Because this is on a dry lake bed there is a chance that with our wet spring & the fact that from time to time cattle can mess up the surface, it might not be usable. So, several of our local pilots will be going down in a few weeks to check things out and I will send an update shortly after that with more details & directions.

All are welcome & there is plenty of room, so feel free to invite your flying friends!

Hope to see you there! And feel free to e-mail me at ragwing.rider@yahoo.com or call me on my cell # below.

Lonnie Ramey
541-325-1692

Thanks for posting this event Lonnie
My brother dan and I are also attending ,I would appreciate any updates you all
can give on conditions there,
It looks like an interesting area...I have never been there so should be fun exploring.

Here is a map of the area so others can have a look around.

cant wait!
Map of Fort rock/Lake Beasly

Mike
Back to top Go down
https://pnwpoweredparachute.forumotion.com
Ragwing Rider

Ragwing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:19 am

You're welcome Mike,
Glad to hear that more then just a few from Central Or are planning on attending!

Most likely there will be several of us that will bring our motorcycles so we can drive around & explore the area. So if you have one, bring it!

Usually the weather is great for flying down there & lots of wide open areas to fly over. It can be hot & dry down there so bring plenty of water & if you have some sort of shade bring it. I'm planning on bringing a 10 x 20' cover for eating or hanging out under. If someone is so inclined they could bring some folding tables & chairs.

There is a little gas station in the town of Ft. Rock & a little store in Silver Lake about 24 miles to the south.

Like I said Beazly is a dry lake bed & is covered with a white powdery dust, so your chute will get dirty! But then our local pilot Q. says it will seal any pores in your chute & make it fly better! Central Oregon mid summer fly-in 755398

All for now.
Lonnie
Back to top Go down
PPC_Mike
Admin
PPC_Mike

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:50 am

Ragwing Rider wrote:
You're welcome Mike,
Glad to hear that more then just a few from Central Or are planning on attending!

Most likely there will be several of us that will bring our motorcycles so we can drive around & explore the area. So if you have one, bring it!

Usually the weather is great for flying down there & lots of wide open areas to fly over. It can be hot & dry down there so bring plenty of water & if you have some sort of shade bring it. I'm planning on bringing a 10 x 20' cover for eating or hanging out under. If someone is so inclined they could bring some folding tables & chairs.

There is a little gas station in the town of Ft. Rock & a little store in Silver Lake about 24 miles to the south.

Like I said Beazly is a dry lake bed & is covered with a white powdery dust, so your chute will get dirty! But then our local pilot Q. says it will seal any pores in your chute & make it fly better! Central Oregon mid summer fly-in 755398

All for now.
Lonnie

Thanks for the info Lonnie

Yes we all have motorcycles and have been going down to South eastern Or for a few years now with them.
Mostly the alvord desert...so we will have other toys to play with also.
I will see what I can do about a folding table and chairs..sounds like a great time!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyFri May 21, 2010 7:17 am

Ragwing Rider wrote:
You're welcome Mike,

All for now.
Lonnie

Oh man...sounds like a blast. We'll be bringing a KTM530, TW200 and a Minibike with us. Can't wait. Should be some great flying Central Oregon mid summer fly-in 511576

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
PPC_Mike
Admin
PPC_Mike

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 7:25 am

Any news on the condition of the Lake bed?

Thanks!

Mike Central Oregon mid summer fly-in 423347

PPC_Mike wrote:
Ragwing Rider wrote:

Lonnie Ramey
541-325-1692

Thanks for posting this event Lonnie
My brother dan and I are also attending ,I would appreciate any updates you all
can give on conditions there,
It looks like an interesting area...I have never been there so should be fun exploring.

Here is a map of the area so others can have a look around.

cant wait!
Map of Fort rock/Lake Beasly

Mike
Back to top Go down
Ragwing Rider

Ragwing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Good evening!

Harv & Q took a road trip today to Beasley dry lake to check out the condition & Harv reported that it was in better shape then he had ever seen it. So we are a go with our first option. Harv indicated that the road into the lake is in good enough condition for motor homes & Camp trailers. There is PLENTY of room for everyone!

There is a gas station & small store in Ft. Rock about 4 miles away. They are open every day except Monday.

Again the Dates are starting Wed. 6/30 thru Monday 7/05.

Please keep in mind that that this is a dry camp so plan accordingly. Also this area is very flat with no shade. The extended forcast today is for mid 70's & mid to high 30's at night.

We are planning on a Pot luck dinner Friday evening. I'm going to bring a Dutch oven & will do a pot roast. If anyone has a folding table & chairs they can bring that would be great!

Beasly is 68 miles south & east of Bend,OR.

Directions:
43.3208996 - 121.0166199
Go 1 mile past the town of Fort Rock then turn right across from the weigh station. Follow the road 3 miles to the T then turn left. Go about 2 miles then turn left just before the cattle guard. Follow the jeep trail and keep to the right. In under a mile the road will lead you out onto the dry lake.

Am I missing anything??

See you there!

Lonnie Ramey
541-325-1692
Back to top Go down
PPC_Mike
Admin
PPC_Mike

PostSubject: Lonnie's Beasley lake report   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks for the report Lonnie!
Glad the lake is in good condition
My Brother (Dan) and I will most likely
come down on June 30th.

Here is the report from Lonnie for those that have not read it:

Good evening!

Harv & Q took a road trip today to Beasley dry
lake to check out the condition & Harv reported that it was in
better shape then he had ever seen it. So we are a go with our first
option. Harv indicated that the road into the lake is in good enough
condition for motor homes & Camp trailers. There is PLENTY of room
for everyone!

There is a gas station & small store in Ft.
Rock about 4 miles away. They are open every day except Monday.

Again
the Dates are starting Wed. 6/30 thru Monday 7/05.

Please keep
in mind that that this is a dry camp so plan accordingly. Also this area
is very flat with no shade. The extended forcast today is for mid 70's
& mid to high 30's at night.

We are planning on a Pot luck
dinner Friday evening. I'm going to bring a Dutch oven & will do a
pot roast. If anyone has a folding table & chairs they can bring
that would be great!

Beasly is 68 miles south & east of
Bend,OR.

Directions:
Go 1 mile past the town
of Fort Rock then turn right across from the weigh station. Follow the
road 3 miles to the T then turn left. Go about 2 miles then turn left
just before the cattle guard. Follow the jeep trail and keep to the
right. In under a mile the road will lead you out onto the dry lake.

Am
I missing anything??

See you there!

Lonnie Ramey
541-325-1692
Back to top Go down
Ragwing Rider

Ragwing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 am

Good afternoon,
My Wife & I are going to leave Madras around 2 pm on Wed. to head down to Beasley.

If you're coming thru Madras from Washinton & would like to follow us down call me & we can meet here before we pull out. Otherwise we'll also be at the junction of Hwy 97 & Hwy 31 just south of La Pine, OR. around 3:45 pm. There is a large parking area on the left. This junction is about 45 minutes south of Bend. We'll pull out from there no later then 4 pm to head to Beasley.

My cell is 541-325-1692

Lonnie
Back to top Go down
PPC_Mike
Admin
PPC_Mike

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Lonnie
My brother and I are leaving the Tri-cities early(3:30am) wed and plan
to fuel up gas/propane in Bend. I will call you as we get close and we might
be able to caravan down

Mike
cell 509-392-1322

Ragwing Rider wrote:
Good afternoon,

My Wife & I are going to leave Madras around 2 pm on Wed. to head down to Beasley.

If you're coming thru Madras from Washinton & would like to follow us down call me & we can meet here before we pull out. Otherwise we'll also be at the junction of Hwy 97 & Hwy 31 just south of La Pine, OR. around 3:45 pm. There is a large parking area on the left. This junction is about 45 minutes south of Bend. We'll pull out from there no later then 4 pm to head to Beasley.

My cell is 541-325-1692

Lonnie
Back to top Go down
Ragwing Rider

Ragwing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:43 pm

WOW Mike! You'll be in Bend around 8:30 AM! That will put you at Beasley around 10 AM...

If you want to follow me you could sleep in & leave Tri cities around 9 am & that would put you into Madras around 1 pm. You could have a bite to eat & we would be ready to go.

I'm planning on getting to beasley around 5 pm which should give me plenty of time to set up camp.

It's up to you!
Lonnie
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:16 am

Had a great time, it was great to meet everyone. I posted my pictures of the Fly-In here: CLICK HERE. If you have any pictures of your own to add click on the link and post them up for all to see Thumbs Up

See you at the next Fly-In.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Central Oregon mid summer fly-in   Central Oregon mid summer fly-in Empty

Back to top Go down

Central Oregon mid summer fly-in
Page 1 of 1